Monday, October 3, 2011

Not One of the BOYZ, but He Doesn't Know It.

OK, I know that I don't blog nearly enough but I have to share this. This past Friday night was Homecoming at Whitehouse. I thought it would be fun to take Jonah down to the field house to see the Varsity football players. I sent a text to Adam Cook (a football coach and friend of mine) and was told what times would be OK. When we arrived at the field, Jonah was focused on seeing the BOYZ and then going to the concession stand (kid has his priorities). Off we went to shake some hands (at times it's like Jonah's a politician). The players that were coming off the field and made a point to swing by where Jonah was standing and shook his hand. Each one of these young men took the time to say a little something to him, it was great. We then went into the field house where Jonah had a captive audience. Before I knew it he had made his way down a row of players and was being hugged by a player. . I was worried about this because Jonah has been known to force his hugs onto people but the more that I observed this the more it looked like this player initiated the hug. Oh how sweet it is to be able to share this 10 year-old bundle of love with others. After the hug, Jonah made his way around the locker room, I am pretty sure he disrupted a player meditating (or sleeping)in order to shake his hand and as the defensive secondary were meeting, Jonah walked up to each player and shook their hands (the coach never even slowed down because of the interruption, he just kept going like everything was normal).. One would think that we were done and now it was time to head to the concession stand but nope, we headed over to interrupt Coach Cook's meeting with the quarterbacks, receivers and running backs. Coach Cook just stepped back and allowed Jonah once again to shake hands and get a few hugs..


Now this would be where I would have thought this great moment would have ended but it gets better. Whitehouse won Homecoming 35-24 and then the chaos of trying to get out of a packed stadium began. While waiting for the crowds to leave, Jonah and I walked along the edge of the bleachers and Jonah said "Go see Football Boyz"? I figured what the heck, we needed to waste some time anyway. Out onto the field we went and boom there was Coach Cook, who stopped what he was doing to shake Jonah's hand and tell him "Thank You for coming to see them". Jonah and I walked around, watching players talk with their families and celebrate the win with their friends. Next thing I know, Justin Bloom is headed for us to shake Jonah's hand again and to get a hug. It was cool watching the interaction between this football player and my son who is built like a lineman (you decide offensive or defensive). That was it our night was complete or so I thought. Out of no where comes Hunter Taylor (our starting quarterback). Hunter squats down to talk with Jonah and get a hug. Next thing I hear from Hunter was "Do you have your camera?" I told him yep and he said, take our picture. Now here is a guy that you would think that would be all over the place talking to people yet he was on his knees next to Jonah. Needless to say, I took their picture, thanked Hunter and went to find Coach Cook so that I could tell him how awesome the players had been with Jonah.

I am not sure that these young men understand the impact that they are having on us. To accept my son the way they have makes me proud to be a Whitehouse Wildcat. No, Jonah will never play football; but maybe, just maybe, he will be a water boy for them and will be able to share his magical love with those that he comes in contact him.

So, if any of the Whitehouse Football team reads this, I THANK YOU. I THANK YOU as the father of a special needs child, for accepting him as he is, for not be afraid to shake his hand or hug him. Someday, you will truly understand the impact that you have on this community.

Dan McBride (aka Jonah's Dad)...

2 comments:

  1. Love, love love it! Precious times w/ the CATS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dan,

    I'm Justin Bloom's Mom. Justin's Dad (Kris Bloom) forwarded this to me last night.
    Thank you for sharing this AWESOME story & experience. This truly made my heart melt & of course I cried! Made me very proud. We don't always get to hear the good things are children (& people) do, but somehow we get to always hear the bad. Justin's by no means is a "bad kid" just a typical teenage, but
    luckily he has a Heart of Gold & outgoing personality.
    I've know Hunter Taylor & his family for years & he's a GREAT kid too. So, I know all their actions & doings were genuine!
    Thank you again for sharing. I'm at EVERY game, home or away & would love to meet you, Jonah & your family. You have a GREAT talent in writing. Please keep up the blogging!
    Kindest regards,
    Proud Whitehouse Mom
    Lori Bloom-Motlagh

    ReplyDelete